Sunday, June 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

From the Press Box

Tar Heels down 36-7 to Louisville at halftime

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — After a 28-27 loss to Wake Forest last week, North Carolina’s road trip has continued its downward spiral Saturday.

The No. 19 Louisville Cardinals racked up two quick touchdowns within the first seven minutes of play and took a 29-0 lead before UNC broke through for a touchdown of its own in the second quarter. At the half, Louisville is leading 36-7 and holds a 360-167 edge in total yards.

The UNC defense hasn’t looked particularly sharp Saturday, allowing 9.7 yards per play to the Cardinals. Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater has completed 16 of his 19 passes for 218 yards and three touchdowns, while the Cardinals’ rushing tandem of Jeremy Wright and Senorise Perry have rushed for 87 and 57 yards respectively.

On offense, UNC has started off sloppy as well. Renner threw an interception in the team’s second drive of the game, paving the way for a Louisville touchdown. And near the end of the first quarter, a bad UNC snap forced a 24-yard loss. Three plays later, the Tar Heels ended the drive with a Romar Morris fumble.

UNC did seem to get into a better offensive groove deeper into the second quarter, as Renner connected with Morris for a 44-yard touchdown pass with 6:18 on the clock.

Louisville will receive the ball to begin the second half.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide