Sunday, June 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

From the Press Box

Tracking the Tar Heels, Sept. 19

UNC head coach Roy Williams gets fired up during the game.
Buy Photos UNC head coach Roy Williams gets fired up during the game.

Welcome to another edition of Tracking the Tar Heels.

Here’s what the Tar Heels have been up to:

• UNC basketball coach Roy Williams was in surgery Wednesday morning to have a tumor removed from his right kidney, WRAL News reports. Williams will have a second surgery on his left kidney in October, according to WRAL.
  • UNC tailback Romar Morris had a banner day in the loss to Louisville, Andrew Carter of the (Raleigh) News & Observer writes. As it turns out, Morris already had a day named after him in Rowan County.
  • A new trio added to a long list of injured Tar Heels, Harold Gutmann of the Durham Herald-Sun writes.
  • In an emergency meeting, more than 300 members of UNC’s faculty voted to support a resolution that calls on UNC-system President Thomas Ross to decline Thorp’s resignation, Caitlin McCabe and Liz Crampton write.
  • Tami Hansbrough didn’t receive proper approval for a trip to Memphis to see her son, Tyler, play, the (Raleigh) News & Observer reports.
  • Ex-Tar Heel basketball player Donald Williams is the new head basketball coach at Northwood High School in Pittsboro.
  • One goalkeeper isn’t enough for the women’s soccer team. Coach Anson Dorrance has been rotating between three.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide