From the Press Box

Tar Heels one set away from sweeping Wake Forest

After dropping three sets in a row to Duke last night in its first loss of the year, the No. 10 North Carolina volleyball team is one set away from sweeping Wake Forest today.

The Tar Heels lead 2-0, taking the first and second sets 25-15 and 25-20, respectively.

The Tar Heels grabbed a commanding 11-6 lead early into the first set under the balance and direction of graduate student Jovana Bjelica, who registered eight kills.

Her eight kills were four times more than any Wake Forest player registered, and were good for one more than Wake Forest’s seven kills as a team. Behind her was junior outside hitter Lauren Adkins with four.

Both teams had five errors and just fewer than 40 total attacks in the set, the difference being UNC’s 18 kills — more than double wake Forest’s seven.

The Tar Heels clinched the second set 25-20 after taking a comfortable lead early. Several UNC errors and a much stronger hitting percentage from the Demon Deacons pulled Wake Forest within three on more than one occasion. Kyle Hargreaves for the Demon Deacons led all hitters with four kills, but the lead that the Tar Heels had built earlier in the set was enough cushion to take the set.

The Tar Heels (15-1, 4-1 ACC) are one set away from the victory.