From the Press Box

UNC defeats Boston College 34-10: What we learned

The North Carolina football team (2-5, 1-3 ACC) picked up its second win of the season in its 34-10 defeat of ACC opponent Boston College Saturday afternoon. Under the direction of a much-improved defense and a dual-quarterback system, the Tar Heels jumped to a quick 6-0 victory in the first quarter to set the tone, and took command of the game in the second quarter. Here are a few things the Daily Tar Heel noticed from the press box.

Switzer finally finds end zone

After being called back by penalties twice earlier in the season, freshman Ryan Switzer’s touchdown today was finally official — the first of his career. In the opening minutes of the first quarter, during UNC’s first drive, redshirt senior quarterback Bryn Renner found Switzer, who caught the 13-yard pass for a touchdown.

Renner praised Switzer’s growth, along with that of fellow freshman wide receiver Bug Howard, who racked up two touchdowns Saturday.

“They’re growing up. You see them adjusting to college football every play they get,” Renner said.

“Early in the season they were trying to do too much and once they got into the offense and made plays, and got confidence — I think that’s been huge for both of them.”

Switzer turned to his Twitter page after the game to express his satisfaction.

“Lol 3rd times a charm,” he wrote.

“Thank you for the love and GO HEELS!!!”

Mikey gets the start

An injured Darius Lipford wasn’t able to play at the bandit position Saturday, prompting North Carolina football coach Larry Fedora to give freshman Mikey Bart the starting nod. Bart, who finished second in the country with and average 12.5 sacks in high school, did exactly what he does best Saturday.

“Mikey got the majority of the reps in practice and so he deserved the start,” Fedora said.

“I don’t know how he played — I know he got a sac and that’s a pretty big deal for a freshman, so we’re proud of him.”

Bart even received praise from a seasoned member of the UNC defense — senior cornerback Jabari Price.

“Mikey Bart was phenomenal. He stepped up,” Price said. “He struggled with the playbook in training camp — (Norkeithus) Otis helped him out with that, and I think he played lights out.

“We didn’t miss a beat as far as Darius Lipford being out. Guys had concerns but Mikey Bart played well in practice, knew all of his assignments on Friday. I feel like with Otis, Darius and Mikey that’s the most rich position on this team.”

Bryn and Marquise — the versatile duo

Between the two of them, Renner and redshirt sophomore Marquise Williams combine for a strong passing game, as well as an explosive running game. Fedora continued to test the effectiveness of splitting time between the two at the quarterback position, and on Saturday, it proved its worth.

Renner threw for 227 yards, compared to Boston College’s Chase Rettig’s 57. Williams threw for 55 and rushed for 55 yards — good for a team best on the ground. Renner tossed two touchdown passes, while Williams threw one to Howard.

Fedora praised their ability to adapt to the new system so elegantly.

“A lot of people are gonna tell you that you can’t do that, that it’s gonna mess with the flow of the game,” he said.

“But you know — they really are doing a great job. It’s a seamless transition between the two. They’re very comfortable with it.”