From the Press Box

UNC leads No. 10 Miami 17-13 at half

The North Carolina football team leads No. 10 Miami 17-13 at halftime at Kenan Stadium.

The Tar Heels have had one of their better halves of their season, but mishaps for Miami have helped them accomplish that feat.

The Hurricanes threw an interception on a 3rd down on their first drive and another on 3rd and 9 in the second quarter.

Miami’s star running back Duke Johnson — who broke a 68-yard run in the 1st quarter — left the game due to an injury and has not returned. Wide receiver Phillip Dorsett also suffered an injury and came back to the sideline on crutches and not in uniform after a trip to the locker room. Several defensive players missed plays due to injuries as well.

The Tar Heels have dabbled in the dual-quarterback game plan, with Bryn Renner and Marquise Williams seeing relatively equal time.

Williams has thrown for 98 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Renner has 136 yards and a touchdown.

The two teams’ offenses have been similar in number — 291 total yards for UNC and 288 for Miami — but Miami has eight less plays. A majority of its yards have come from long plays. On three 3rd and 10s, Miami has managed a 59-yard run, a 68-yard pass and a 42-yard pass.

Eric Ebron has already set a new career-high with 144 yards in the half, which is the most in a half by any tight end in the country this year. Almost half of those came on UNC’s first score of the game, a 71-yard pass from Marquise Williams.

Miami will get the ball at the start of the second half.