From the Press Box

UNC junior Eric Ebron declares for 2014 NFL Draft

The UNC Tar Heels hosted the Miami Hurricanes at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013.
Buy Photos The UNC Tar Heels hosted the Miami Hurricanes at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013.

North Carolina junior tight end Eric Ebron has declared for the 2014 NFL Draft, forgoing his senior season.

Saturday’s rivalry matchup with No. 24 Duke at Kenan Stadium will be Ebron’s last regular season game as a Tar Heel.

“I’m proud of what he’s accomplished and how he’s represented UNC,” coach Larry Fedora said at Monday’s press conference. “We’re sad to see him go but excited for his future.

Ebron said he’s been considering the decision for a few weeks before coming to a final decision Sunday night. He declared before the season ended in order to be honored with UNC’s senior class Saturday — something he and his family would miss out on if he declared after the season.

“It’s really just to give my mom an experience that she wouldn’t get to experience,” Ebron said. “It’s not for me, and it’s not to try to take away from anything or interrupt or interfere my performance because I’m still going to go out there and play like we’re playing against Duke.”

Ebron is a semifinalist for the John Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end, and he leads the team with 774 receiving yards — including a career-high 199 receiving yards against Miami.

Ebron is ranked No. 12 and No. 14 overall by ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, respectively. Both rate him as the country’s best tight end.

“He means a lot,” redshirt sophomore quarterback Marquise Williams said. “He’s a guy that always backed up his word. He could dish it out, but he always backed up his word. And he’s a special guy. I’ve been knowing him for a long time. It hurts to see him leave, but I’m happy for him because he’s been through so much, and it’s finally time for him to move on.”