From the Press Box

Notebook: Roy Williams discusses UAB loss during radio show

North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams hosted his weekly radio show from Top of the Hill Monday night and was candid about the loss to Alabama-Birmingham, his players’ development and the upcoming game against Michigan State.

Annoyed in Alabama

Williams expressed his displeasure in his team’s performance in the 63-59 loss to his former assistant Jerod Haase’s UAB team Sunday night.

“It was not a very good day for the good guys,” Williams said. “I say that jokingly because I think Jerod Haase is one of the all time great good guys. I told him before the game that I’m pulling for him like crazy but I love my team a heck of a lot more than I love you. They outplayed us. That’s the bottom line.

“They wanted it more, they hustled more, they did the things they had to do. They had more intensity. That’s aggravating to a coach. I’ve always felt that I should coach execution. I shouldn’t have to coach effort.”

For Williams, that lack of effort was the most concerning thing about the loss.

“I was not pleased with our effort,” he said. “I was not pleased at all. I was not pleased all night and I was not pleased at practice today. I will not be pleased at practice tomorrow.”

Player development and improvement

Though sophomore J.P. Tokoto provided an offensive spark for the Tar Heels on the offensive end, scoring a season-high 16 points, his defensive performance wasn’t up to snuff, Williams said.

Williams told the crowd gathered for the radio show that Tokoto’s defensive grade “sucked.”

Williams also addressed forward James Michael McAdoo’s recent struggles, including a six-point effort against UAB. He said that McAdoo was trying to do too much, and he has been meeting with the big man to find a way to simplify his role on the court.

Odds and ends

Williams said that the plan is still for former point guard Stilman White to return to the team after he completes his Mormon mission.

Williams said that he wasn’t a fan of the post-basket celebrations of today’s basketball player. Among his least favorite? Shushing the crowd after a big score.