Medium

Q&A with G-Eazy

G-Eazy is an up and coming hip-hop artist known for his social media presence and for being a cooler Macklemore. His newest album, When It's Dark Outside, will be released tomorrow. Staff writer Morgan Howard spoke with G-Eazy, real name Gerald Gillum, via email about his sound and his rise to fame.

Daily Tar Heel: How did you get into music and what made you pursue a career as a rapper?

G-Eazy: I fell in love with making music when I was around 13 or 14. I started out making beats then I figured if I could write raps I could record them to my beats and make actual songs. That sounds common these days, but back in 2004, 2005, the idea of making music at home and uploading it online was brand new, so I fell in love with the process.

DTH: How would you say your sound has developed over the years and where do you draw inspiration from as a writer?

Eazy: My technique has developed, my perspective has changed, I've grown as a person, so naturally my music has evolved. I draw inspiration from all over — personal experiences, stuff I've seen or witnessed happen around me, I also like to watch a lot of movies. I don't know, man, I'm just really into great stories.

DTH: How has your interaction with fans changed as you have become more well-known and more of a public figure?

Eazy: I love my fans, they're the reason I'm here. We grew this from the soil, everything's been organic. So I always keep that in mind and try to give back whenever I can to show them how much I appreciate them.

DTH: In your music, you talk about adjusting to fame. How do you deal with your new found fame?

Eazy: It's a process, I dunno, I think it's all about keeping a balance. You gotta keep the right people around you, people who keep you grounded. And it's about not letting it all go to your head or drive you crazy, because it's definitely a roller coaster.

DTH: If you could give advice to yourself five years ago what would it be?

Eazy: Just stay humble and stay hungry.

@hotbeansmorgan

medium@dailytarheel.com