Medium

Upcoming 2016 movies you need to see

Although we are firmly in the throes of award seasons, there are not many award-winning movies left up for screening. However, this doesn’t mean there aren’t some great movies coming up, if you’ve got the patience to wait for them and the wallet to pay for those outrageous movie tickets.

Source: Vignette3.wikia.com

First up, Captain America. I could probably write a whole blog about why I am excited for "Captain America: Civil War," but that would be boring and rambl-y and would probably end with my tears all over the computer screen. If you’re not excited for this movie, there’s something missing in your life, and if you’re on Team Iron Man (or Team Robert Downey Jr.) over my precious baby Captain America (Chris Evans), you need to remove yourself from this planet. 

Source: Screenrant.com

Scheduled for a February release, Marvel’s "Deadpool" is another superhero movie that is sure to rock the charts. Between Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and the marketing team’s successful branding all over Tumblr and the internet, I think this movie is going to be awesome.

Source: Tumblr.com

While Marvel is rolling in dough, rival comic book company DC is trying their best with a new Batman (Superman?) movie and one with a new brand-new mashup of villains, "Suicide Squad." Although Jared Leto’s Joker doesn’t seem quite as fearsome as Jack Nicholson’s rendition, nor as comically crazy as Heath Ledger’s "Clown Prince of Crime," I’m willing to give him (and Ben Affleck’s Batman) a shot. Either way, I’m really only watching for Harley. That crazy chick is my spirit animal. 

For those of you who don’t like superheroes, there are a couple other titles you might like. 

Source: Gstatic.com

"Zootopiafrom Disney is a study of a world where animals are basically people. Ignoring all laws of nature and forcing bunnies and foxes to wear pants, this kid-comedy looks interesting, in an animated, special-feature sort of way.

Source: Gstatic.com

Also about animals and also from Disney, the live action "Jungle Book" comes out in April with several big names like Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, and Scarlet Johansson rolling with the credits. The trend of making live-action pictures of movies’ best animated features seems to be paying off well ("Maleficent" in 2014, "Cinderella" in 2015 and "Beauty and the Beast" planned for release in 2017). My only hope is the live-action "Jungle Book" will be as magical as its animated counterpart. 

Source: Gstatic.com

Speaking of fairytales, Chris Hemsworth is revamping his role in the 2012 Snow White in this year’s "Huntsman." After watching the trailer, I don’t know if I can say much about the movie’s plot, but its aesthetic is worth appreciating.

The new movies that did not make this list (including "Zoolander 2" which comes out in roughly a week’s time and the Divergent sequel "Allegiant" that is featured in almost every single one of my nightmares) are not awful, I just didn't want to bore you with a watered-down blurb. 

You should just go out and see the movie yourself. 

See you at the cinema!