Medium

Leonardo DiCaprio's road to winning an Oscar

The pinnacle of American Film Season. The Oscars. “A day that will live in infamy.”

Here’s a full run-down of last night’s events and winners. But we’re here to talk about what everyone and their mother wants to talk about — how Leonardo DiCaprio finally won the Oscar.

The Oscars happy excited leonardo dicaprio oscars 2016

Source: Giphy.com

Now, let's review Leo’s tragic history with his FOUR previous Oscar nominations. Contrary to popular belief, DiCaprio wasn't ever nominated for his leading role in "Titanic," but we'll never let go, Jack.

His first nomination was in 1994 for his supporting role as Arnie Grape in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." He lost. *Sigh*

Source: GlobalGrind.com

DiCaprio’s second nomination, this time for actor in a leading role, came in 2005 with his portrayal of the famed Howard Hughes in "The Aviator." Well, he lost. Again. *pained sigh*

You'd think that third time’s the charm, right??? WRONG. His third nomination and subsequent loss came in 2007 with his leading role as Danny Archer in "Blood Diamond." *Becomes emotional.*

Source: Giphy.com

IT'S FINE. We’re only a ~little~ salty.

Souce: Eonline.com

Leo's fourth nomination was for his playboy persona, Jordan Belfort, in the 2014 film "The Wolf of Wall Street." Who knew that cocaine and fraudulent stock revenues wouldn't get you an Oscar? I certainly didn't. *Wipes single tear from cheek.*

Source: Giphy.com

And FINALLY, after years of brutal Internet memes and scrutiny, the Academy awarded Leo his long-deserved Oscar for his leading role as badass adventurer/bear attack survivor/beaver pelt wearer Hugh Glass in "The Revenant." 

*Sobs happy tears until I'm told "it's quiet hours you need to be quiet" by my resident adviser.*

Source: Reddit.com

But Leo didn't take his time on the Oscar podium for granted though. He took his time to  advocate for the importance of environmental change. Yes, while he wasn't winning Oscars, he was starting the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation. The foundation is “dedicated to the long-term health and wellbeing of all Earth's inhabitants.” Check it out here!

So, kids, just take a lead out of Leo's book, and use the oldest cliche ever — if you work hard and nearly die several time to secure your Oscar nomination and win, your dreams can and will come true. On the fifth try. Ya know... just keep swimming.

So, you keep doin’ you, Leo.

Source: Eonline.com

Source: Popkey.co

Source: Independent.co.uk