Pit Talk

By-The-Numbers: Student Recreation Center

After a brief hiatus BTN is back. I’ve decided to start posting every other week in fear that I might run out of places to blog about. I mean who wants to read, “By-The-Numbers: My Dorm Room” or “By-The-Numbers: Greenlaw 2nd Floor Men’s bathroom” just because I have to put out a post. I have an obligation to all of my readers, all seven of you, to provide a quality product.

This week I decided to hit the SRC. Well, my friend decided to hit the gym and I had already watched enough about the Brett Farve sexting scandal on ESPN today, so I decided to tag along.

The rigors of college can be stressful and there is no better cure for stress (or a hangover) than to sweat it out. The SRC has something for all students, whether you’re into cardio, weighlifting, yoga, or my personal favorite: synchronized aerobic dance routines in spandex

After several minutes of stretching/procrastinating and stealing narcissistic/self conscious glances in the 500 mirrors lining the walls, I boarded a treadmill and began my run. As always, I noticed some interesting trends. Here are the stats:

• Minutes wasted trying to find the right song on my iPod: 5
  • People seen leaving a piece of equipment without wiping it down: 3
  • Minutes I was able to continue to run after a song on my iPod made me catch my second wind: 5 (Thanks Jeezy)
  • Sets of mismatched dumbbells: 8 (Yeah I do curls with 25 lbs. and 70 lbs. all the time. I need to keep my Ultimate Frisbee throwing arm in peak condition)
  • Faculty members wearing FG t shirts: 4 (who knew my 60 year old English professor could out bench me?)
  • People wearing their high school [insert sport] from [insert year]: Everyone (Warriors tennis conference runners-up ’08!)
  • Better uses I thought of for the big exercise balls: Infinity

Exhibit A:

• Regret that I didn’t ask for a towel after leaving the gym and realizing I was “that sweaty guy”: Immediate

Be sure to visit Pit Talk every other Tuesday for a new installment of By-The-Numbers, and remember, everyone is a statistic.