Pit Talk

Cancer patient stresses awareness to employees

Brenda Denzler urged cancer awareness Tuesday morning.

Denzler, who is currently undergoing treatments for inflammatory breast cancer, grew emotional as she spoke at an Employee Forum meeting.

“On June 30, 2009, I was diagnosed with breast cancer,” Denzler said, choking back tears.

The presentation was in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

“Two hundred thousand people every year will be diagnosed with breast cancer,” Denzler said. “One to six percent will wind up with inflammatory breast cancer.”

Inflammatory breast cancer is the most aggressive and fatal form of breast cancer. She said it is almost never detected before the very last stages of development.

Gena Carter, senior director for Human Resources, said she was touched by the presentation.

“I have a real admiration for Brenda’s courage,” she said.

Chuck Brink, a representative of Facilities Services, said the presentation was important.

“I wish that all of this information was available to all campus,” he said, adding that he knows a lot of women who he hopes become more aware.

Denzler said she was grateful to the UNC community for its support through her battle with the disease.

“In the last year I have been able to maintain my employment courtesy of the people in this forum and on this campus,” she said.

Denzler is a communications specialist at the Medical Foundation of North Carolina.

She ended the presentation by encouraging members of the forum, as well as members of the UNC community, to maintain awareness of breast cancer.

“Be a fighter,” she said. “Don’t wait to become a fighter until you get breast cancer or someone you know gets breast cancer.”