Pit Talk

Czar of Chillocity steps down, search for heir nears end

Cheerwine’s Czar of Chillocity, Lauren Odom, will soon abandon her post to make way for an heir.

The company is searching for a new czar, and it will end the search Monday.

This time last year, the junior said she was undecided about her major, let alone what she wanted to do. But after a great year as Cheerwine’s first ever Czar of Chillocity, things have changed.

“I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do with my life,” she said. “The only area I hadn’t really explored was the journalism/communications area. Now I know I want to do something in the public relations or advertising field.”

As the czar, Odom planned events for Cheerwine and attended functions in the community. Her job was to be friendly, talk to people and pass out as much Cheerwine as possible while getting paid for it.

“Everyone was really nice,” she said of Cheerwine’s marketing team. “They really wanted to help me out and help the program succeed at UNC. I never felt like I was working by myself.”

And feelings are mutual. “We have a lot of confidence in Lauren,” said Tom Barbitta, the vice president of marketing for Cheerwine. “She’s done a heck of a job.”

Barbitta, who was with Cheerwine when it launched the campaign in 2009, said the campaign’s purpose is to encourage continued loyalty and expansion from within their already loyal and passionate following.

“I think it might be a little lame if we were a big brand, like we might be trying too hard, but for a little brand like Cheerwine?” he pondered, chuckling. “I think it’s perfect for Cheerwine. It’s not lame at all.

“That’s what consumers and student play back to us: that this is a perfect program for Cheerwine.”
Barbitta said the position is ideal for any laid back, outgoing student.

“We don’t want the czar to be a talking head for the brand, we want them to be who they are,” he said. “It’s a great program. You’re doing what you love.”

Sophomore Tim Longest, one of the contenders for next year’s czar, agrees.

He is already involved in community government, representing his dorm Stacy in the Olde Campus Lower Quad’s community goverment and Dance Marathon. He said both of which he says would make great partnerships for Cheerwine.

“I think it would be a really fun experience,” he said. “Something to be creative with. And good business/entrepreneur experiece.”

For more information, see http://cheerwineczar.com/