Pit Talk

Do you know the alma mater?

Buy Photos

Is it ‘Rah! Rah! Rah!’? Or ‘Go to Hell Duke?’ The DTH walked around campus to see how well UNC students actually know the alma mater. For more on what we found, read the blog post here.

If someone asked you to sing the alma mater, would you know all the words?

Probably not, if you’re like the students I interviewed.

The idea for the project came to me when I attended Sunset Serenade during Fall Fest: At the end of the concert, a stranger suddenly threw her arms around me and began to sway in time to an unfamiliar tune.

Students were a bit weepy; the chorus was resounding. It was only my first week at Carolina and I thought, “Oh boy, I better learn the alma mater.”

Hark the Sound is UNC-Chapel Hill’s oldest song, according to Tar Heel Blue, the university’s official athletics website. In 1897 a member of the University’s Glee Club adapted the song from Amici, a popular song at the time.

In the 1930s I’m a Tar Heel born was combined with the alma mater to create the fight-song sensation students, alumni and fans know today.

Well, “know” is a relative term.

Most students with whom I spoke were familiar with the song’s melody. Some students knew the shouted verses, like “N-C-U” and “priceless gem.” Others refused to sing, period.

Not one student volunteered to sing alone. Students were only willing to sing — and to be recorded singing — if their friends could join in.

This response demonstrates an aspect of the alma mater I had previously overlooked: The words are not as important as the people with whom you sing the song.

Sure, there is less risk in messing up the lyrics to a song “everyone” knows if your friends are messing up, too. But I like to think that the alma mater is inherently a social song.

Hark the Sound is meant to be sung with other Tar Heels. Win or lose, correct or incorrect, we go together.