Pit Talk

Students convene to discuss international women's issues

Monday night in Murphey Hall, students gathered in a discussion sponsored by AASHA on “Women and Education: Barriers in Developing Nations.”

Student panelists discussed women’s empowerment and the importance of involvement in the education of women internationally. Panelists shared their personal experiences in global communities.

Audrey Lavelle, a senior history and philosophy major, said that she believed the easiest way for her to get involved was through research. She studied cervical procedures and family planning in India, educating women about various practices.

Although Lavelle said she was reaching out to a patriarchal community, she was involved in discussions that aimed at providing a safe environment for women to ask questions without shame.

“It’s a very hard topic, but the only way to address it really is to talk,” she said.

Hampton Neal, a senior women’s studies major, said that his experience in Zanzibar, Tanzania broadened his perspective in a huge way.

“One of the things I learned over the summer was just basically the overarching, comprehensive effects and influences of education,” he said.

Neal spent the summer facilitating the delegation of scholarships that provided education to girls from Zanzibar experiencing cultural, familial and financial pressures.

Patrick Toomey, a political science major, said that one cannot give women empowerment, but rather it comes from within.

“The main thing is to find a way to facilitate a way for women to empower themselves,” he said.

Toomey said that American culture is very influential and widespread and has the ability to promote a huge impact internationally.

Making a first step might be difficult, but Lavelle shared how initial perspectives on various cultures is a step towards effective influence.

She said familiarity with social, religious, political and other complimentary dynamics of a region provide immersion opportunities that could otherwise be unattainable.

Senior biology and sociology major Nawsheen Khan said asking questions is important, especially for those who want instant help. Khan said the best way to empower the needy in Bangladesh, which AASHA reaches out to, is to mobilize them.

“Bring them to America, give them an education,” she said.