Pit Talk

UNC students have terrifying trip to circus

Plenty of students entered the Tar Heel Terror Circus in the basement of Parker Residence Hall last night, but only a few students escaped.

The reason? One of the clowns at the circus didn’t feel he was funny enough. To prove himself, he decided to kill everyone that came to the circus and didn’t laugh at his jokes.

This was the scene at Parker Community’s 10th annual haunted house.

Every year residents from Parker, Avery and Teague host a haunted house the week before Halloween.

Students paid $2 or donated a can of food to enter the the haunted house. Every year, the money raised is given to a different community organization.

This year all proceeds were given to TABLE, a non-profit organization dedicated to feeding hungry children in the Chapel Hill and Carborro area.

This year, students dress as children excited for the circus led UNC students through a maze. After entering, students were bombarded by strobe lights, screaming faces, and a multitude of clowns that would grab them around every corner.

“This was my first time going through the haunted house,” said freshman Maitlyn Betts. “It was really scary. The clowns were everywhere. They grabbed my feet and ankles and wouldn’t let go.”

Within the first hour, the Parker Community’s student government counted 55 UNC students who had already gone through the house and others were already waiting in line outside.

Shannon Huennekens said her second year at the haunted house was scary.

“This year’s was better than last year,” the junior said. “It had to do with something that seemed like it could happen in real life. Last year’s ghosts weren’t as realistic as the clowns this year.”