Pit Talk

University honors fallen journalists

One aspect of UNC’s First Amendment Day focused on the right of free speech as it affects journalists, a privilege often overlooked or taken for granted.

In the United States, the media plays an informal role as the fourth branch of government, keeping companies, groups, and, most importantly, the government itself in check.

This is an invaluable asset is one that many Americans take for granted until faced with the realities of the outside world.

Since January, 35 journalists have been murdered. Seven of those killings occurred in the last month. Pakistan holds the title of the deadlist country for journalists this year, with six of the 35 murders.

Another 24 journalists have also been killed on the job, but the motive for those murders remains unclear.

Ryan Thornburg, a UNC professor teaching mainly online journalism courses, spoke briefly about his thoughts on the issue.

He said that while Americans often joke about bloggers, blogging is very different in other areas of the world.

In many oppressed nations, bloggers are not the everyday citizen “ranting online as they lounge about in pajamas,” but individuals risking their lives in an underground operation to get the truth out, he said.

In countries like China, bloggers are often the only way the public has access to news not controlled by the state.

When asked what he believes it would look like for other nations to remove their restrictions he let out a soft chuckle.

“Well, you’d have massive uprising,” he said, adding that just like new drivers use their new privileges often and irresponsibly, so would mass citizenry given sudden rights to freedom of speech and press.

He said that be believes countries interested in moving towards an open society need to do so slowly for the sake of stability.

“Let people talk about things in areas that aren’t dangerous to people in power, such as commerce or economics,” he said.

Ferrel Guillory, a lecturer and director for the journalism school, said he is a big fan of the first amendment.

“It is critical to the functioning of our democratic government, to our capitalist economic system, that we have free and independent communication,” he said.

He said that the American press, given that it is free and independent, not only gives people the information they need to select the electorate, but protects essential freedoms by keeping powerful figures in check.

The governments of oppressive countries agree – 77% of the journalists murdered this year covered politics or corruption.

Senior Adrian McLauren said, in light of this information, that he will not take his first amendment rights for granted as much as he used to. And when informed of this year’s journalist murder statistics, his face fell.

Eyes wide, he stared as the numbers set in.

“Hearing that is a shock,” he said. “I had no idea journalism was so dangerous. I guess it really makes you appreciate our rights here.”

The Committee to Protect Journalists keeps several lists and statistics on its website.