Pit Talk

Pre-ordering, Halloween theme spur Homecoming t-shirt sales

When Caitlin Goforth entered the Carolina Athletic Association last year, she was stunned.

Goforth, a CAA cabinet member, said she found boxes upon boxes of surplus t-shirts leftover from Homecoming.

“The office was not really an office — more like a packaging warehouse for a clothing store,” she said.

But this year, the CAA sold more than twice as many Homecoming shirts. And fewer went unsold.

CAA President Brandon Finch said a third color option this year helped spur sales.

And Goforth said an online pre-ordering system helped make sales more efficient.

“It’s more convenient for students to buy them online some night with a credit or debit card rather than have to be in the Pit between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. with cash,” she said.

The CAA decided to increase the shirt price to $12 and donate $2 per shirt to UNC Dance Marathon.

“It was really exciting to work with the CAA on this,” said Dance Marathon publicity chair Rebecca Brenner. She said this is the first time the CAA has donated their proceeds to an organization.

Finch said the CAA is giving Dance Marathon $5,000 from shirt sales, which totaled around 2,500. Of that total, 1,200 were pre-ordered.

Finch said last year, the CAA ordered 1,100 shirts and sold just over a thousand.