Pit Talk

From the archives: postcards in Chapel Hill

In the From the Archives series, Pit Talk will highlight and review old items from UNC’s libraries, looking at everything from archives in Wilson Library to old dissertations housed in Davis Library.

Want to suggest an item for review? Email dthpittalk@gmail.com.

Students rave about how Wilson Library is the perfect place to study, but how many students have spent time perusing the archives for those hidden gems of antiquity?

From the Southern Historical Collection to the Music Library, there are many spicy sources just waiting to be dusted off and explored.

Take the Wilson Library’s digital collection of 12,000 North Carolina postcards dating back to 1898 as an example: this collection is available through Wilson Library’s home page.

All photos are courtesy the North Carolina Collection.

This 1907 bird’s-eye view of Chapel Hill in the sidebar beckons you to go check out the library system’s archives.
4821_birds_eyeo.png

Or this postcard of the unveiling of the Silent Sam statue in 1913. This statue, like the postcard available to Chapel Hill visitors, still greets prospective students on UNC admissions tours.

Yuck - Yuck

These archived greetings are just the tip of the archival iceberg.

Have you come across a “spicy” document while conducting research at a UNC library that you want to recommend for this series? Tweet at us at @Pittalk or email us to let us know!