Pit Talk

Bull’s Head features Joyce in honor of St. Patty’s day

<p>James Joyce in 1915. Photo courtesy the Cornell Joyce Collection.</p>
Buy Photos

James Joyce in 1915. Photo courtesy the Cornell Joyce Collection.

Today the Bull’s Head Bookshop organized a St. Patrick’s Day event to honor memorable Irish author, James Joyce.

A man dressed as Joyce, green shirt and eye-patch clad, read from one of the author’s most famous novels, Fennigans Wake, while listeners munched on Irish soda bread.

In between readings, the small audience that formed a circle around the Joyce actor, learned little known tidbits about the author’s life such as the fact that he suffered from both cynophobia (fear of dogs) and astraphobia (fear of thunder).

Born and raised in Dublin, Joyce excelled in his schooling and went on to write such notable works as Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and his most famous work, Ulysses.

Bull’s Head has been honoring James Joyce on St. Patrick’s Day for several years now and has also organized tributes to many other famous authors such as Gertrude Stein, Marcel Proust and Dorothy Parker.

If you’re still looking for a place to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this evening and are a literary buff, try the James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant in Durham

Here are a couple of cool links to learn more about the iconic Irish author:

Hear Joyce himself read from Fennigans Wake here.

Learn more Joyce’s life here.

Here’s a great website where you can buy Joyce’s books and contribute to the improvement of worldwide literacy at the same time.