Pit Talk

The Good Wife's Guide

Recently my friends and I have been filming skits for an event that was held this weekend. The theme was “Back to the Future” and we chose the 50’s as our decade. We filmed “Leave it to Beiber” (Leave it to Beaver) a Twilight Zone skit, an “All Spice” (Old Spice) commercial and (my personal favorite) “A Good Wife.” This last skit was based off of an article supposedly published in House Keeping Monthly in 1955. I played the lead role as the 50’s housewife and thought I would share with you some of the most surprising rules as a reminder of how far our society has come in the last 56 years.

The Good Wife’s Guide

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first – remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

A good wife always knows her place.

Though many argue that women still have a long way to go before achieving true equality, especially in the workforce, it’s refreshing to see how far we’ve come. I’ll be the first to say that there is nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home mom or working to make the home a warm and welcoming place for your spouse, but it’s all about the motive. Today you’re free to persue what ever you want, ladies, and I look forward to seeing what wonderful things UNC’s women do in the world.