Pit Talk

Why you should go to a baseball game

Third baseman Colin Moran connects with the ball in the bottom of the fourth on April 3. The Tar Heels completed a three-game sweep of the Clemson Tigers with a 5-4 victory on.
Buy Photos Third baseman Colin Moran connects with the ball in the bottom of the fourth on April 3. The Tar Heels completed a three-game sweep of the Clemson Tigers with a 5-4 victory on.

UNC is a basketball school. You know it, I know it. The campus squirrels probably know it. Football is arguably the runner-up. The campus gears up, grills and gathers ‘round for every game. But what about America’s favorite pastime?

Friday evening I attended the UNC-Clemson baseball game and peers, I am appalled. A patch of old women wearing red, a cluster of high school players in green and a surprising number of traveling Clemson fans easily equalled or outnumbered the sad, scattered members in Carolina blue.

Here are five reasons why YOU should attend a baseball game this season:

1. We’re good. UNC is currently ranked number six in the country. I bet with some enthusiasm we could bump that up a few notches.
2. The casual pace makes for the perfect social outing. Unlike loud basketball and football games, it’s easy to laugh and converse with friends or a date. Plus, you get to sit down.
3. Perhaps I ought to make that last comment its own point. YOU GET TO SIT DOWN.
4. It is customary to eat during a baseball game. Hot dog, nachos, peanuts, sunflower seeds, ice cream, lemonade.
5. For the ladies: baseball pants. Enough said.