Pit Talk

Recipe of the week: Doughnut cake

<p>Students dig into the warm donut cake right out of the oven.</p>
Buy Photos

Students dig into the warm donut cake right out of the oven.

Ever heard of Doughnut cake? Probably not, because I made it up.

The first recipe of the week for this year is a shout out to the Dozen Doughnut Dash this Saturday. Participants in the dash have to run two and a half miles, eat a dozen doughnuts, and then finish the one and a half miles left in the four mile race. Crazy, right? I’m not a runner, but I do enjoy my share of Krispy Kremes every now and then. Surprisingly, there aren’t many recipes that use doughnuts as an ingredient but I found this one from a Taste of the South recipe contest.

Here is the old recipe submitted by Catherine Kearns of Ashland, Ohio from Taste of the South magazine:

3/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 (3.5-ounce) package butterscotch cook & serve pudding & pie filling (not instant)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
10 to 15 Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnuts, cut into 8 pieces each
1/4 cup butter, melted

Most of the ingredients in the original recipe couldn’t be found at our local Walgreens, so I improvised a little.

Here is the new recipe:
6-8 plain glazed doughnuts (cut into 8 pieces each)
2 cinnamon bun doughnuts (cut into 8 pieces each)
1.5 sticks of melted butter
1/2 box of vanilla instant pudding
10-15 packets of sugar
1 golden brown sugar oatmeal bowl (oatmeal taken out)

You will also need a mixing bowl, spoon, knife, cake pan (any size), microwaveable bowl, and oven mitt. All of these can be found through your dorm’s enhancement program.

Preheat your oven to 325°.

Cut up the doughnuts and set aside.

Mix together the pudding mix, sugar, and brown sugar (from oatmeal) in a bowl and sprinkle 1/4 into the bottom of the cake pan.

Layer a third of the doughnut pieces into the pan, then a fourth of the sugar mix, then a third of the doughnuts, then more sugar, then more doughnuts. Put the rest of the sugar mix on top. Pour the melted butter on top of everything.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and put directly onto a plate. Chances are it won’t hold its shape, but don’t worry!

The end product doesn’t look at all like the picture from the original recipe. Mine ended up as less of a cake and more like doughnut holes with caramel sauce. It was surprisingly delicious! I walked around my floor with a plate full of cake and ran out within minutes. This recipe was definitely worth the time to make it.

Do you have a favorite dorm recipe? If you do, or if you have any ideas for a future recipe of the week, share it with us on Twitter by tweeting at us at @PitTalk!