Pit Talk

A day in the un-death of a zombie

<p>Photo from Flickr Creative Commons from PrincessFroglips.</p>
Buy Photos

Photo from Flickr Creative Commons from PrincessFroglips.

Nerf guns, socks, bandanas, oh my! Yes, it is that time of the year again: Humans vs. Zombies.

Humans versus Zombies, or HvZ, is ultimately a game of tag with a more complex rule set and Nerf guns. Humans wear bandanas around their arms, while zombies wear bandanas around their heads. Oh, and did I mention that it lasts a week?

Here’s a glimpse into my day as a zombie.

11 a.m.: I meet up with a group of zombies patrolling Polk Place. My comrades in brain-munching just returned from a chase, but other than that all seems pretty quiet.

12 p.m.: We stand outside the doors surrounding Lenoir. A girl sneaks by me and bolts into Murphey Hall, where it seems she has met up with other humans holed up in a classroom. Lucky for us, some unfortunate human souls are “killed” on their way to lunch.

4:30 p.m.: We receive word there is an important member of the human resistance inside Hanes Art Center. We stake out all entrances and wait. Two other humans are “killed” while we wait. Unfortunately we discover this human was not in class.

8:30 p.m.: Zombies organize in the Pit for the night’s mission. Suddenly we get word of a large group of humans leaving Alderman. We run in the direction and eventually end up chasing them towards South Columbia Street.

8:45 p.m. Mission details are received, and we head towards South Campus to prepare for the coming humans.

9:00 p.m.: We’re organized, hiding and waiting for the humans to arrive.

9:30 p.m.: Humans arrive, and we charge. Unfortunately I am stunned and wait to the side for 10 minutes until I can return to the game. All of the stunned zombies organize a massive, concentrated charge once our 10 minutes are up. Once we are all officially un-stunned, we charge, “killing” multiple humans. The rest of the humans eventually get away.

10 p.m.: I join up with some fellow zombies and hunt for a few minutes, eventually retiring to my room for the night to rest for another full day of human-hunting tomorrow.

What do you think? Are you a player? Let Pit Talk know by commenting below.