Pit Talk

Aaj Ka Dhamaka

If you like dance, and you like Anoop, then you’ll love Aaj Ka Dhamaka.

This annual intercollegiate dance competition held at UNC showcases the best in South Asian dance.

Now in its 13th season, the event will be held at Memorial Hall on October 29th, 2011. Teams from across the U.S. will be competing, including UNC’s own Bhangra Elite and Ek Taal as exhibition teams. The show is being hosted by UNC Sangam.

The competitions will include dances in Raas, Fusion, and Bhangra.

Raas is an ancient dance that originated in the Indian state of Gujarat. It is used primarily during the Navratri, a nine day festival in honor of the lord Rama and goddess Durga. Dancers move in a very choreographed manner, using music and wooden sticks known as dandiya, to create a rhythm.

Bhangra started in the state of Punjab in celebration of the harvest season. It uses some dance, but relies heavily on music, singing, and a special drum called the dhol. It has surged in popularity because of its upbeat music and rhythm.

Fusion is a contemporary mix of tradition and the modern age. It combines the traditional dance styles of South Asia with modern hip-hop music and is incredibly popular. It combines elements of traditional dance, and even elements of Bollywood dance to make a form that is amazing to both dancers and spectators alike.

In addition to these awesome dance competitions, there will also be live performances by UNC’s Clef Hangers, as well as Anoop Desai, UNC’s own American Idol.

For those who don’t know, Anoop was a finalist on the eighth season of American Idol, finishing in 6th place. He is a 2008 graduate of UNC, and he has gone on to make quite a name for himself in the independent music industry.

On another note, all proceeds from the event will go to benefit the Mahatma Gandhi scholarship, which is the only university recognized student-run scholarship at UNC Chapel Hill.

So, if you want to see some awesome dances, hear some great music by Anoop, and also help out a really worthy cause, then definitely head to Memorial Hall on October 29th for Aaj Ka Dhamaka. Doors open at 6 and the show starts at 6:30.

For more info, see http://www.uncakd.com/.

For more info on the Mahatma Gandhi scholarship, see http://www.wix.com/uncmgf/home