Pit Talk

The Four "H's" of Cold Healing

<p>Photo courtesy of <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mebs09/3534925248/">MebS09 on Flickr Creative Commons.</a></p>

It’s about that time of the year, and it seems like everyone’s getting sick. So, whether you’re the sick one, or you’re trying to protect yourself from your roommate’s sniffles, I’ve got some college-applicable remedies to help you:

1. Humidity

According to Mayo Clinic, cold viruses thrive in dry weather. That explains why we don’t get these nasty bugs during our super-humid N.C. summers!

It’s unlikely that you will have a humidifier in your dorm, but humidity can be created temporarily at your sink.

Fill your sink with the hottest water you can get. Then, place a towel over your head (to keep the steam from escaping) and breathe in the steam. This process should help clear up congestion and open the sinuses.

2. Honey

I’m sure you’ve heard of drinking honeyed tea to help soothe a sore throat. I find it very effective at easing the scratchiness for a little while. Mixing a couple teaspoons into hot tea (some people recommend adding lemon and ginger to the mix as well) is one of the easiest cold remedies there is.

And, it may have other benefits!

In a recent research study, doctors found that consuming two teaspoons of honey before sleep was as effective of a cough-suppressant as some over-the-counter medications. It’s cheaper and better tasting than cough syrup, so why not give it a try?

3. Hit the hay

While I realize this is easier said than done, getting some extra sleep gives your immune system some more time to recover. Try to get as close as possible to the recommended daily allowance for adults — seven to nine hours.

4. Healthy foods

There have been a lot of research studies on the effects of vitamin C and zinc in cold relief. While vitamin C seems to be best for arming yourself against your roommate’s cold, it wouldn’t hurt to work a little more into your diet. Zinc, on the other hand, might help with actual cold symptom relief.

After a quick Google search, the only miracle food containing both happens to be artichokes. If you’re not feeling that intimidating, spiky thistle for dinner, try a combination of foods to get the vitamin C and zinc you need.

For vitamin C, try oranges, kiwi, sweet red and green peppers, and strawberries. For zinc, try sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate, and peanuts. I’m sure you can find a tasty combination!

And finally, if all else fails, you can revert to over-the-counter medications. I personally swear by Advil Cold & Sinus for day and NyQuil for night. But, try a few natural remedies first. You never know if you’ll find a great new trick that will work for you!

Any other tried and true cold remedies you’d like to share? Tweet us at @PitTalk.