Pit Talk

The top 5 October events at UNC

<p>Photo courtesy of <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/magandafille/1676505034/">magandafille on Flickr Creative Commons.</a></p>

Ok, so it’s not a hundred degrees out every day, the mosquitoes are quickly vanishing, and basketball season is just a few short weeks away. It must be October!

Check out a few of the fun things that typically go on this month on campus, and you’ll understand why Carolina loves the fall so much.

This is a partial list. If I had to write down every single awesome thing that happens this month on campus, we’d be here all night.

1. Tar Heel Trot

This is a 5K race that benefits Friends for an Earlier Breast Cancer Test, and it’s a great way to get in shape and benefit an extremely worthy cause. So pull out your running shoes, and come out October 16 at 9 a.m. to get into shape.

2. Late Night with Roy Williams

The season opener for the most awesome college basketball team ever! On Friday, October 14, doors open at 4 p.m.! You will literally see stars it’s so fantastic!

3. Halloween on Franklin

There’s just no words to describe it beyond the fact that when your professor moves an exam and cancels class because of it, you know it’s going to be awesome! Come up to Franklin on Halloween night in your costume and get ready to have one of the most awesome experiences you’ll have all year.

4. Homecoming

A whole weekend of everything Carolina. Shout out to all the freshmen: if you thought your high school put on a good show, you haven’t seen anything yet. There are tons of events going on this week that will knock your socks off, so keep an eye out, especially October 28-29 when the real fun begins, and be sure to go to the football game vs. Wake Forest on the 29th.

5. University Day

University Day is the day that we celebrate the history and founding of UNC and remember the great events that have happened here ever since Hinton James became the first student back in 1789. First of all, classes get cancelled in the morning, which is awesome! Secondly, this is a really great opportunity to learn things about UNC that you never knew.

Don’t you love October? What else do you love about it? Let us know by commenting below!