Pit Talk

When the quad seems too mainstream, get your reading done here

If you are going for a liberal arts degree here at UNC, chances are you’re going to be saddled with a heavy load of reading requirements. However, sometimes reading what is required can become dull.

When you reach that point where an injection of energy becomes necessary in order to get through the banal, a change of scenery often does the trick. But, Pit Talk readers, simply moving from the library to the quad is a path too well-known by the mass for you. Thus, I present to you:

The Top Five Places to Read for Class When the Quad Seems Too Mainstream

Fed Ex Global Center Garden Terrace and Green Roof — I once accidentally found my way up here, and believe you me, it is a DELIGHT. You can read and study while looking over the lush green terrace, contemplating whether the grass is actually greener on the other side. It’s a metaphor. But that actually happened, though.

Racquetball Courts in Fetzer Gym — There is a common misconception that racquetball is a sport created exclusively for old, tenured faculty wearing all grey outfits, but that is wholly untrue. Or at least it will be by the time you, young Pit Talk reader, have read this article. What better way to exercise than using a racket to slam a rubber ball against a wall? Combine that pleasure with occasional glances at your sociology textbook and you’ll have broken a serious mental sweat too.

P2P on a Friday Night — “Hey bro, where are you going?” “The 4th Dimension by means of Ouspensky’s treatment of time in Tertium Organum.” “Huh?” “Oh, uh…I’m going fratting.”

Top Floor of Wilson Library — If you want quiet, that’s exactly what you’ll get with this secluded spot. Be wary, though, the silence can be overwhelming: this area is recommended only in small doses.

Roof of Ehringhaus Dorm — This is a classic high-risk high-reward sort of endeavor. You might get caught and be reported to the Community Director for disciplinary action, but then again, you might feel the adrenaline pumping through your veins as you finish your political science reading. I don’t know if you’ve ever read on top of a building before, but seriously, watch out for your RA.

What do you think? Let us know by commenting below.