Pit Talk

Recipe of the week: cream cheese french toast

Buy Photos

Do you like breakfast for dinner? Do you have some dry bread you are looking to get rid of? Are you hungry? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then continue reading, and I will show you how to put a new spin on plain french toast.

Most of the ingredients for this recipe can be found in a college student’s fridge. Bread, check. Milk, check. Eggs, check. Butter, check. Cream cheese, well…maybe. You can pick up a small packet of cream cheese at any grocery store or at the Rams Market on South Campus for less than $1.50.

Ingredients:

4 slices of bread (dry works best)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
butter
cream cheese
syrup

You will also need a frying pan, a bowl, and a fork. You can get the frying pan and bowl from your dorm’s enhancement program at the front desk. If you don’t have a fork, then I suggest you run to Walgreens and buy one or snag one from the dining hall.

First, cut the bread slices in half down the middle. Slice the cream cheese into thin, small pieces and layer it onto one side of the bread.

Put the other piece of bread on top of the cream cheese. Take a fork and press down on the edges to seal them. You don’t want the cream cheese to fall out!

Crack the 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork. Mix in the cinnamon with the eggs.

Now to the stove! Put the frying pan on the stove at medium heat. Add a chunk of butter to the pan. The pan should be hot enough to melt the butter but not so hot that it burns the butter. Dip the bread into the egg mix on both sides. All of the surface should be covered in egg. Then put them into the frying pan. It should take about 2 minutes per side, but they will be done when they are dark brown on both sides.

Drizzle some syrup on top and enjoy!

Do you love french toast? Are there any suggestions for next week’s recipe? Let us know @PitTalk