Pit Talk

Candidates for Student Body President debate with the DTH

With news of Dean Smith’s death still spreading across campus, the three candidates for student body president highlighted their platforms, their priorities and their responses to critiques at a debate hosted by The Daily Tar Heel on Sunday afternoon.

“We’re here debating what we see the future of Carolina being, but with Dean Smith’s passing, we’re also looking back on our legacy, not only in athletics but as a school,” candidate Kathryn Walker said. 

The candidates presented their platforms before going into detail about what each would accomplish as student body president. 

They discussed what was most important in their platforms and what would be the first thing they would accomplish.

Candidate David Marsh explained the importance of creating a staff that would have a range of voices and ideas. 

“Priority number one is just appointing the cabinet,” Marsh said. “I want that to be something where everybody feels like they have a shot.”

Candidate Houston Summers described the importance of creating a safe space on campus. Walker said she wanted to open the lines of communication between student government and the student body.

Both Summers and Walker said they did not see anything in their platforms that would fall by the wayside and not get accomplished if they were elected.

Marsh said his idea to hold a men's basketball game in Carmichael Arena might be left aside for more important goals.

The candidates also responded to the lack of endorsements from some campus groups, including the Young Democrats, the Black Student Movement and the Carolina Hispanic Association. 

Summers said that groups should give endorsements, but he wants to prove that he is there to listen to the Carolina community.

“Endorsement, no endorsement, I want to do what’s best for our student body,” Summers said. 

Walker also emphasized the fact that she wants to be available to all students. 

“We may not have the same experience that you have had but I’m showing up for you, I’m here for you. I want to tell your story with you. Help me give you the avenue to tell your story,” Walker said. 

Marsh addressed criticism that he has not had experience with the executive branch. 

“I don’t question my leadership ability,” Marsh said. 

He believes his experience as Parker Community Governor and with the Carolina Advocacy Committee has allowed him to see how to be a leader and the issues with student government. 

“I think I bring a fresh perspective to the executive branch,” Marsh said. 

Summers discussed concerns that he has worked closely with Andrew Powell and responded to voters who might feel that they are just reelecting Powell. 

“Andrew and I are unbelievably different individuals,” Summers said. 

Summers explained that he and Powell have had different life experiences and have different perspectives. 

Walker conveyed her perspective on her former leadership of the College Republicans. 

“I recognize that student body president is a representative of the students and that means all students and all political beliefs," she said.

She said that even though she has her own political leanings, the issues of students come before any political parties. 

“A good leader is able to recognize what is best for the people they lead,” said Walker. 

All three candidates circled back to the idea that everyone should have a seat at the table to present their issues and feel that they have a president who will speak for them.