Pit Talk

Culture Shock: Surrounded by Norts and water bottles

I have been a proud Tar Heel for one month, and as an international student from Spain, I've noticed a few things that are veeeery different here in the States. 

So, if you're an international student who's thinking about coming to study at UNC this is your basic survival guide:

1. The clothing situation: No, they're not going to the gym or to work out. Students here wear athletic clothes to class … and it's an OK thing to do. Don't stare. Don't ask why. Just accept it. Also, they carry huge backpacks around as if they were going camping and water bottles of all colors and shapes- if you don't have one you're no one.

2. Is it a hurricane? Is it the AC?: Quick tip: Carry a wool sweater with you at all times because here air conditioning is a thing. Every single building, classroom, restaurant and coffee shop has the AC to the max so consider yourself lucky if you don't get pneumonia the first days. 

3. The land of the free: Don't be shocked if someone suddenly leaves the room in the middle of the lecture — they can actually do that, it's called going to the restroom. I know, right? Crazy. Students are also allowed to drink and eat in class so worry no more, your (my) dream of having a casual tapa in class will come true.

4. Clubs galore: You will not be bored here because there are basically a thousand clubs you can join. There's an anarchy club, a Humans vs. Zombies club, a Quidditch club … And pretty much any other student organization you can imagine. 

5. Suspiciously nice people: OK, I'm still figuring this one out. When people ask me how am I doing, are they actually interested? Am I supposed to answer honestly and tell them my problems? Probably not. For the moment I'm sticking to the standard answer 'Good, thank you, how are you?', so I'll keep y'all (I'm practically Southern already) updated on further advances on my research. 

Keep these things in mind, and you'll blend in just fine. At the end of the day you'll actually go home thinking how much you love UNC and its people! And you'll relate to what they say here: It's a good day to be a Tar Heel. 

@mariapenaecheve11