Pit Talk

All of the things that I planned to accomplish during winter break but didn't

Winter break is essentially a 30-day hold on all responsibilities. 

It is a college student’s time to relax, recover and rest after a semester’s worth of work (or lack thereof). I began winter break determined to accomplish a number of activities. Unfortunately, I failed at every item on this list to varying degrees.

Exercise daily

Ah yes, the classic feigned dedication to exercise. I told myself that I was going to run 6 days a week and start the spring semester with a new set of abs. But then it was cold. And raining. And there was lots of food everywhere. And there were Christmas movies on TV. The world didn’t want me to exercise. So I didn’t.

Read

Nothing gets me more bummed than being the person who doesn’t catch a clever literary reference tossed around in casual conversation. I have been working on expanding my knowledge of literary classics for some time and I saw winter break as a huge opportunity for progress. 

I brought along my Jane Austen and Robert Louis Stevenson as my family embarked on our 16-hour car ride to Wisconsin. 32 hours round trip—I was sure that I could soak in a significant amount of literature. 

Alas, I slept the entire time.

Organize my wardrobe

I have not thrown away a piece of clothing since middle school. This is partly because I stopped growing in middle school and partly because I attach sentimental value to each item of clothing I have ever worn. 

I had hopes of organizing my mountain of clothing before returning to school and reducing the number of shirts lying on the floor of my dorm for the upcoming semester. Unfortunately, I only made this problem worse by going to the mall and stealing my siblings’ unwanted clothing.

Get rid of the bags under my eyes

Getting sleep seems simple and easy. I have no excuse for this one. I’m not sure what happened here. The bags are still under my eyes.

Learn something cool

College students know how to do cool things like riding unicycles, walking tightropes and throwing Frisbees. 

I thought that I could return to campus with my own unique talent to add to the mix. 

I did not learn how to do anything cool. I didn’t even decide on a certain activity to focus on. This is getting sad.

Finish a Netflix series

I am ashamed to say that I didn’t even have the will power to finish a season of American Horror Story on Netflix. 

Sinking into the couch and allowing Netflix to auto play episode after episode is even easier than getting a proper amount of sleep. And I failed yet again.

You may be asking what it was that I did with my time over break. I’m not sure. Sorry.