Pit Talk

3 inspirational graduation speeches to get you through midterms

We’re all far from graduation. Even if you’re close, you’re still pretty far. 

We’re far from the day when we get to sit in the sunshine, maybe or maybe not on Mother’s Day, and listen to someone give us chills and butterflies about our future. 

We’re stuck right now, in the library, our dorm, or class, and for most of us, motivation and inspiration seem just as far away as our graduation date.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, that means we have to pay attention to what we’re doing right now. Whatever is bothering you, which is probably related to midterms, this is your reminder that it’s normal. 

Instead of being frustrated and hating yourself for how much work you have to do, take this opportunity to learn something from one of three incredible people whose addresses to graduating students hold value that we can all absorb, even when we're far from graduation. 

In the spirit of being accessible for those who don't have time to watch each speech, the most important words, in my opinion, have been identified for a speedy motivational booster.

Shonda Rhimes at Dartmouth College

You know her as the name that comes on TV after you watch "Scandal", but you don’t know her story. In her commencement speech to Dartmouth class of 2014, she says something comforting.

In response to “how do you do it all?” she says, “I don’t.”

You have to do all your reading. You have to pass all your classes. But, there are some things you don’t have to do. Maybe this week you forget to do laundry, or you look like crap every day. 

Shonda Rhimes can’t do it all, so just accept that you can’t do it all, either. 

Ed Helms at Cornell University

"Always nurture a healthy contempt for maturity and level-headedness.”

Sometimes you’re surrounded by people who act very rigid and mature and are too busy to laugh. Sometimes you may feel stupid or insecure for doing something silly that calms you down. 

Do it anyway. Take a study break, order Insomnia Cookies, freak out. Ed Helms is telling you to.

Steve Jobs at Stanford University

We know him, we loved him. In 2005, we loved him especially for these words.

“Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.”

Morbid. Obvious. True.

This is not Steve Jobs telling you to blow off homework. Grades, classes and exams are oh-so important. 

But your intramural water polo game is, too. If it makes you happy, spend an hour watching the new "Pretty Little Liars" episode even though you could be studying. 

Steve Jobs was speaking to an audience of graduates when he said this, but there’s no reason you can’t employ the same mentality when midterms come around.