Pit Talk

4 classes that we could one day see at UNC

Recent events have had me thinking about what classes future UNC students might see. What will be important 10, 20 years from now? What will future educators want our children to learn? 

Well, I don’t know about any of that, but I do know what I’d want to see as a future student. So here are my top four picks for future UNC classes. 

LFIT 666: Post-Apocalyptic Training. For students who have ever worried about what might happen after World War III. In addition to critiquing the TV phenomena “Doomsday Preppers” we will learn how to build a bomb shelter, ration dry food stores to last over ten years, construct a battery from bendy straws and spare car parts and how to best defend yourself against zombies, ghouls, or raiders that might attack you in the post-apocalyptic world.

CHEM 893: Explosions 101. This class works alongside LFIT 666 to prepare students for future post-apocalyptic survival. Using everyday items like baseballs, milk cartons, water bottles and hybrid fuel cells, students will learn how to make grenades of all sizes and shapes and how to properly store them and care for them. Note: students must sign a waiver to attend this class. The school is not responsible for any damage inflicted upon the students in class.  

LFIT 349: Hoverboards and Heelys. A brief history of Hoverboards and other transportation tech in the early 21st century. In addition to using the early tech, the class will attempt to navigate the campus using this technology. The Hoverboards and Heely shoes will be available for students to check out during class hours, but under no circumstances will students be allowed to use them outside of class time. Students are encourage to buy fire-retardant socks as Hoverboards were known to burst into flames on occasion. 

ENGL 9909: "Harry Potter," a History. An examination of literary techniques, style and creativity in J.K. Rowling’s popular series. Textbooks for the class will be Rowling’s seven "Harry Potter" novels as well as all supplemental texts such as "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them." We will take a look at Rowling’s use of style and character archetypes first in the books before comparing her literary techniques to the artistic ones used in the movies.