Tar Heel Life Hacks

How to impress the folks during Family Weekend

10 am classes...pumpkin spice lattes...and Carolina gamedays
These were the ingredients chosen
To create the perfect fall semester
But New Students and Carolina Parent Programs accidentally added an extra ingredient
to the concoction — 
FAMILY WEEKEND

The Powerpuff Girls cannot save you from this weekend. 

Sure, it'll be great to see your family after being away from them for five weeks. But, you've been away from them for five weeks

A lot can change about you (nose piercing? nice), your dorm room (we don't talk about that stain in the carpet) and your class schedule (#dontswapitdropit) in five weeks. 

Here are some tips on what to do this weekend to ensure you won't be studying abroad in the majestic country of Home School next semester:

Tell them how your classes are going, what living in the dorm is like and how the food's been.

Don't tell them about that one time you pulled an all-nighter at the UL and frightened some people on the walk back with your nonsense talk about Kesha and how you wonder if she'll ever be back because you really want her to be back for good.

Show them your #UNCCryZone. They'll be glad to know you actually have a plan for your emotional breakdowns and aren't just crying willy-nilly all over the place. Strategy is key in life.

Don't show them the spot next to Genome where you tripped on a brick and face-planted into a fire ant pile. A lawsuit will be placed faster than you can say "Go Heels" and then the illustrious campus brick thieves will be out of a job. Let's be considerate here.

Take them to Kenan Stadium at night for stargazing after a filling meal at Lenoir Dining Hall (or if you're feeling fancy, the Wendy's at the Student Union).

Don't take them window shopping down Franklin Street. Just because you're a broke college student who enjoys looking at stuff you can't buy doesn't mean your family will react the same way. They will want to spend all of the money on all of the things and then you will all be broke together. And we don't want that, now do we?

Let them comment on your bad habits and your messy room. They could take your passive silence as quiet admiration and obedience and buy you stuff.

Don't let them leave without telling them you love them and appreciate them. You wouldn't be at the greatest school on Earth without your folks, so give thanks and let your mom kiss you goodbye in public. It's the least you can do.