Tar Heel Life Hacks

10 ways to be smarter than your fellow Tar Heels

The first round of midterms at UNC is coming to an end, and as grades are going up on Sakai, our spirits are going down. Some of us might be starting to ask ourselves existential questions like, “Do I really belong here? Should I have gone to that other state school? Did I leave the curling iron on? Do I have what it takes to make it here? Does it get easier?”

And the answer is: No, it doesn’t get easier. In fact, it never gets easier; you just get better. But that improvement isn’t guaranteed and doesn’t always come in a timely manner, so here’s a list of 10 things to call your classmates out on to make it seem like you’re actually one of the best and brightest UNC has to offer — even if that POLI 150 exam did just kick your ass.

1. Appalachian vs. Appalachian

Incorrect: “Did you know that the town of Boone, N.C., is located in the Appa-LAY-shuh mountains?”

Correct: “I lost my water bottle while I was hiking in the App-LATCH-uh mountains last weekend.”

Explanation: “Appa-LAY-shuh is the pronunciation of condescension, the pronunciation of the imperialists, the people who do not want to be associated with the place and the pronunciation Appa-LATCH-uh means that you are on the side that we trust.” - Sharyn McCrumb

2. 180* vs. 360*

Incorrect: "Your trouble-making friend Tyler from high school has really turned a 360* and is working as an EMT now!"

Correct: "Your trouble-making friend Tyler from high school has really turned a 180* and is working as an EMT now!"

Explanation:

3. Good vs. Well

Incorrect: “I think my English presentation went really good!”

Correct: “My dissertation defense from my Ph.D. in English literature went really well!”

Explanation: The word "good" can be described to a noun. The word ‘well’ is used to describe verbs, adjectives and adverbs. Shmoop has a great video that explains this really well.

4. Nother vs. Other

Incorrect: “That’s not the only thing Peggy can fit her fist in, but that’s a whole nother story!”

Correct: “I can bake the heck out of a pineapple upside down cake, but if you ask me to make a triple chocolate cake, then that’s a whole other story.”

Explanation: The word “nother” is an abbreviation for the word “another.” So when the entire phrase is spread out it reads “a whole another story” which does not make sense grammatically or logically.

5. Alltimers vs. Alzheimer’s

Incorrect: “Scientists hope to find the cure for Alltimers disease by the year 2018.”

Correct: “The pharmaceutical industry believes the next big drug will be a medication to combat Alzheimer's disease.”

Explanation: During Alzheimer’s disease brain cells die and cause memory loss. Alltimer’s is a misinterpretation of the word Alzheimer’s.

6. Irregardless vs. Regardless

Incorrect: Irregardless of the fact that the Native Americans were here first, the Europeans took over the land anyway.”

Correct:Regardless of the fact that I have two exams tomorrow, there is no way I’m missing the Tonys tonight!”

Explanation: Irregardless is a double negative and does not actually have an established meaning.

7. Intensive Purposes vs. Intents and Purposes

Incorrect: “I decided to invest my money in Blackberry stocks for all intensive purposes.

Correct: “My husband and I decided to open a joint banking account for all intents and purposes.”

Explanation: The phrase "all intensive purposes" simply does not make sense. Think about it.

8. Raise vs. Rear

Incorrect: “I’m going to raise my children to say ‘yes sir’ and ‘no ma’am’.”

Correct: “My parents reared me to use ‘yes sir’ and ‘no ma’am’ when speaking to adults.”

Explanation: As the old saying from William Safire goes: “You raise cattle but you rear children.”

9. Nauseous vs. Nauseated

Incorrect: “I’m sorry I can’t go out tonight! I’m feeling very nauseous.”

Correct: “I’m feeling really nauseated from that clam chowder, Robby.”

Explanation: If something is nauseous, then it has the ability or potential to make someone feel nauseated. To be nauseated is to feel like you’re going to throw up because you have come in contact with something that is nauseous. Find out more here.

10. Could vs. Couldn’t care less

Incorrect: “I made a D on the midterm, but the class isn’t for my major, so I could care less.”

Correct: “My roommate is locked out of the house, but she didn’t do the dishes last night, so I couldn’t care less.”

Explanation: 

@zackbgreen