Tar Heel Life Hacks

How to love pumpkins but stay hipster

Fall has arrived and with it comes all of the wonderful things we all look forward to: apples, cool air, hot chocolate and yes, pumpkins.

Now, I love pumpkin-flavored everything just as much as the next basic white girl. But I also realize that being obsessed with pumpkin is almost as much of a stereotype as wearing norts and oversized T-shirts. 

Some of you may be wondering, can I love all things pumpkin and still be a hipster? I say yes you can. I’ve thought long and hard about how to combine my desire for pumpkin with my desire to be non-basic. 

Here’s the result:

Smashing pumpkins

Whenever you’re feeling angsty, I recommend smashing pumpkins. Possibly against the ground. If you’re feeling more counter-cultural than that, you could try against a wall. Either way, you should probably listen to Smashing Pumpkins (the band) while you are smashing pumpkins.

Flannel-wrapped existential-crisis seating arrangement

We all know there is nothing more hipster than flannel. So my thought is, let’s un-stereotype pumpkins by pairing them with flannel. Here’s what you do. Cover a pumpkin with flannel and then sit on it while you’re having an existential crisis. Or pondering the meaning of life. Or watching movies on VHS.

Carving pumpkins

This one’s gonna be tough to navigate but I believe in you! Carving pumpkins is pretty mainstream but I think you can get away with it if done correctly. Give your pumpkin face glasses and an epic hipster mustache. A beanie is probably a nice touch as well. Above all else, make sure you farm said pumpkin yourself.

Everything-free facemask

Don’t let any part of the pumpkin go to waste, people! Sustainability is a hipster’s best friend. Scoop out the pulp and seeds and apply to your face for a nitrate-free, organic, vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, results-free facemask.

@meggiecruser