Tar Heel Life Hacks

Places to study on UNC's campus

If you're tired of the same-old-same old study places, check out some of these spots you might not know about:

Wilson Library Grand Reading Room

If you have your life under control and are capable of sitting down and opening your backpack without making a ruckus, the Grand Reading Room is absolutely breathtaking. You may begin to feel like Hermione Granger as you study under the lamps that look more intelligent than you do.

For those of us who have a tendency to be a tad rambunctious and clumsy, Wilson Library is a place to avoid. To make a sound is to commit an unforgivable sin in this ancient building.

Graham Memorial

Okay, yes, Graham Memorial normally tops the list of the best napping locations on campus. Studying on these supernaturally comfortable couches may result in a dangerously lengthy snooze.

If you know your will power to be stronger than your eyelids, studying in this beautiful building is cozy and makes you feel like you’re a member of the Royal Family.

The diner booths at Rams

If you are able to get to Rams Head Dining Hall before the enormous breakfast crowd stomps in, securing yourself a diner booth is a study move to be proud of. 

People may glare at you and deem you to be a jerk for taking a booth to yourself, so bring your self-confidence. In addition to being comfy and spacious, studying at the dining hall also allows you to graze throughout the day.

Health Sciences Library

Located on Columbia Street, the Health Sciences Library may scare off those of us who are not studying in the medical field. (Don’t succumb to fear, it’s exactly what they want.) If you ignore the general purpose of the library, it is a great place to post up for the day. Grab an armchair and enjoy the view through the beautiful walls of windows.

Davis Library

We’re all too familiar with this place. Commit yourself to entering the large, soul-sucking building, share head nods of confidence with the comrades who enter the elevator along with you, choose whichever floor you feel will bring you the highest level of productivity and watch as the hours tick away at an alarming pace. 

It is of utmost importance that you enter Davis when the sun is up and exit when the world outside has become dark and cold.

Undergraduate Library

The beloved destination of the walk of shame. After being forced to leave Davis in the early hours of the morning, the UL is the next stop. Always reliable and always full of people whose bodies contain an alarming amount of caffeine, the UL is a priceless tool for us all.

Park Library

Unbeknownst to many, the School of Media and Journalism hosts its own library on the second floor of Carroll Hall. Throughout the upper level of the J-School’s home, there are many interestingly-shaped tables and chairs where you can plop down for a few hours in solitude. The library itself has large tables and many computers available to all students.

In your bed

Rumor has it that placing your textbook under your pillow while you sleep is an effective method of soaking up mass amounts of information. If you’re feeling daring, try your chances with this alternative approach to studying.