Tar Heel Life Hacks

How to keep your friends after winning $1.5 billion

I’m writing this blog because it will make The Daily Tar Heel famous when I win the lottery tonight. If not, at least I can provide my sound advice to the winner on how to remain loved by your loved ones after the win. 

The Powerball lottery jackpot is now estimated at 1.5 billion dollars. That’s enough money that could make the people around you very jealous if you won. They may be tempted to take advantage of you. Take these steps to keep your people happy, and don’t forget who gave you this advice in the first place (I accept check, cash, or vacation homes.) 

Help them out a little bit. We all have those friends who are always lending a helping hand. Take this opportunity to return the favor. Throw your bestie a couple hunned thou. Why not? Remember when your friend bought you cheese fries the night you forgot your debit card? You can buy the Sup Dogs franchise for them. Great investment.

Pay it forward. Do good things with your riches! Give back and what not. You could buy five private jets, but maybe give some money to charity or help some people. Then, your pals won’t have that dangerous “it should have been me” thought that will lead to the demise of your friendship. You are now just a sweet philanthropist. 

Include them in your fame. The jackpot has become such a huge deal that the winner will inevitably become a household name (if you play your cards right.) So feature your day 1 friends in your Snapchat stories and Instagram posts. Sure, take millions of pictures with Kylie Jenner and Zac Efron at your yacht party, but don’t forget where you came from. 

Don’t be afraid to keep it real. Even Fergie said she still goes to Taco Bell. It’s okay to just cool it. This will keep you from running out of money.  Definitely build a mansion with 150 bedrooms and a hot tub in each, but keep it cheap every once in a while. Rescue all the dogs from the animal shelter instead of buying a $1000 poodle mix. Well, do both. Poodle mixes are wonderful. 

Stay humble. Your chances of winning were basically nonexistent. Appreciate the luck or divine intervention that brought you here, and don’t get braggy. You’re not Kanye West. If you are Kanye West, I love you, but why did you buy a lottery ticket?