Tar Heel Life Hacks

Surviving 'Cuffing Season'

If you’re not up to date with the latest lingo, below is the Urban Dictionary definition of “Cuffing Season."

Cuffing Season: During the fall and winter months, people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be "Cuffed" or tied down by a serious relationship. The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed.

If you’re single, Cuffing Season can be a lonely time filled with long nights spent watching Netflix alone somewhere remote while your roommate sexiles you. Luckily, if you happen to be uncuffed this Cuffing Season, you can survive this with just a little help.

• Avoid YoPo and Carolina Coffee Shop. These venues are prime date locations, and if you wind up at one of these places alone, you just may end up spending the rest of the night watching first dates unravel and crying into your latte.
  • In fact, avoid Franklin Street altogether. Hand-holding couples love to roam Franklin and shove their happiness in our lonely faces.
  •  If you find yourself popping a Katherine Heigl movie into your computer ­— stop what you’re doing.
  • Focus on something else. Learn to bake. Take a walk in the snow. Buy one of those super trendy adult coloring books.
  • During these Cuffing months, you may find yourself grasping thin air to find something to cuddle at night. To avoid Phantom Spoon pains, invest in a body pillow.