Tar Heel Life Hacks

Best ways to find a part-time job in Chapel Hill

Urban Dictionary defines “adulting” as “to do grown up things and hold responsibilities such as a 9-5 job, a mortgage/rent, a car payment or anything else that makes one think of grown ups.”(It also defines adulting as a phrase that is “used by immature 20-somethings who are proud of themselves for paying a bill,” which is equally as true.)

Adulting is not fun! Adulting is stressful! Adulting requires a lot of money, and certainly more than you expected when you first turned 18 and tried to convince your mother that you were an adult (only to ask her to send you a $20 later that same week).

To obtain that money, you may be in need of a part-time job to work between classes, but even when you’re actively searching for one, finding opportunities can be difficult and confusing. There are, however, several easy job-hunting options that are bound to lead you in the right direction. It’s time to get that money, honey.

Check Careerolina

Careerolina, a University Career Services online service, is an awesome way to find on-campus jobs and internships and can be supremely helpful in finding jobs that might give you experience in your area of interest. Additionally, if you need to have your resume reviewed, Career Services will look it over for you and give you advice on how to fix it up before sending it to potential employers.

Walk down Franklin Street

So. Many. Places. Hiring. By simply taking a walk from one end of Franklin Street to the other, you are almost certain to come across two or three places hiring. What's even better is that it seems like Franklin gets new restaurants minimum 35 times per month, presenting new opportunities for part-time jobs every time another shop opens.

Use Facebook

This is a personal favorite because it is how I found my current job! There is a Facebook page specifically made for the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area on which people post new opportunities on a weekly basis. It is great for finding not only part-time jobs, but internships, full-time jobs, and volunteer opportunities.

Try Carrboro

Similar to walking Franklin Street, Carrboro is close enough to be convenient and provides a wider array of choices than what might be available on Franklin or on-campus.

Get involved!

Getting involved in extracurriculars is an awesome way to network! People send out listserv emails about opportunities for jobs and internships to their fellow club members all the time, so by joining clubs you will be able to hear about opportunities that both (a) interest you and (b) you may not have heard about otherwise.