Tar Heel Life Hacks

The ultimate survival guide: Valentine's Day edition

Valentine's Day stirs up a lot of conflicting emotions.

According to Urban Dictionary, Valentine's Day is defined as: 

1. The reason so many people are born in November

2. Single's awareness day

3. A corporate conspiracy conceived by candy makers, rose growers, lingerie stores and jewelers to get people to spend money on junk

You're probably nodding your head in agreement but, there's no reason to stress because I'm about to share with you some tips on how to have the best Valentine's Day ever whether you're single or taken. 

Yes, I am basically calling myself cupid at this point. 

The Single Pringles:

Source: http://blog.friendseat.com/now-put-your-hands-up/

Don't get down on yourself because you're single! You are a strong independent woman and you need to own it.  Here's a list of ways to spend V-Day without being sad: 

1. Wine. Lots of it. Nothing's better than hanging out with all the girlies at the house and sipping on some wine. I like to call this therapy. 

2. Treat yourself – buy yourself chocolate, ice cream, flowers. The list could go on and on. I recommend Ben & Jerry's Half Baked. It won first place on Ben & Jerry's top flavors list for a reason. It's love in a cup. 

3. Go on a date with all your friends. You don't have to worry about how you look or what you order. I call that a win-win situation.

4. Retail therapy anyone? Check out the boutiques on Franklin Street: Bevello, Fedora, Bluetique or Uniquities. You'll be so distracted shopping that all you'll be thinking about is how good you're going to look next weekend wearing your new clothes. 

5. Listen to Beyoncé all day long, but only her empowering feminist songs. 

The Real Housewives of UNC: 

Source: http://thisrelatestomeme.tumblr.com/post/41795977889/life-according-to-facebook

For all the ladies out there who are taken and tamed, here's your list on how to have the perfect Valentine's Day with your significant other: 

1. Instead of going on a typical fancy dinner date, go on a picnic date to Merritt's Pasture or get homemade ice cream from Maple View Farm.

2. If you already have reservations to the nicest restaurant in town, dress the part. Here's a few different websites that will make your man turn his head twice when he sees you: TobiRevolveHallelu and Nasty Gal.

3. Feel like staying in? Netflix marathon. Catch up on all your favorite TV shows and movies while cuddling.

4. Show your Carolina pride by going to the UNC vs. Pittsburgh basketball game.

5. Give him a meaningful gift. Material things are nice and all, but he might actually appreciate something that he holds dear to his heart. That can range from cooking him a homemade meal to writing him a sweet letter. 

Just remember Valentine's Day doesn't define you as a person.

Adulthood does.