Tar Heel Life Hacks

Celebrating Easter long distance

Sometimes you can’t be with your family on special occasions because you go to school far away from them. Thanks to technology you can still celebrate with them. 

Here are a few tips for Easter:

1. Send an e-card with a video of you

I do this when I’m traveling abroad and my family loves it. You can also make a generic video that can be sent to extended family as well.

2. Send a package

Candy is a big part of Easter in my family. I like to buy candy and mail it home. Just make sure you only send non-chocolate candy such as Skittles, Starburst or Peeps because they won’t melt.

3. Flowers

Christmas is my grandmother’s favorite “fun” holiday but Easter is definitely the most important over all and it kills her that I’m not there. This year I’m having her local florist deliver a bouquet of tulips for her. How mad can she be when she has tulips?

4. Plan Easter activities with friends

Spend Easter with friends. Go to church, cook a nice lunch, and dye eggs, go for a picnic, etc and take lots of pictures to send to your family. Then you can call your family later that night and tell each other about each other’s celebrations.

5. Surprise them

Buy a plane ticket and go home. Your parents will be so surprised and happy to see you that they won’t care that you maxed out their credit card to get there.