Tar Heel Life Hacks

4 websites that will help you with course registration

Class registration is this week, but you don't have to cry too hard. Let us save your semester with a few websites that will make registration slightly less painful and will get you a little bit closer to the perfect schedule.

Source: Coursicle

1. Coursicle

Coursicle is like the pre-game of course registration week. It allows you to look up classes based on all types of criteria: days of the week, start and end time, GenEd requirements filled and so on. This makes it easy to sort out your schedule and create backup plans for when 90% of the classes in your shopping cart are inevitably closed after you log on five minutes before your registration time.

Source: UNC Teaching and Learning Blog

2. Class checker

Trying to get into a closed class or onto a wait list? With Class Checker, you can have alerts sent to you every time a spot opens up. Simply submit your email or telephone number and the name and section of the class you want to track and wait for the messages to roll in.

Warning: Would not recommend to anybody with low patience or high blood pressure. The alerts come randomly and when they do, you have about 20 seconds to whip out your computer and hit “Enroll.” The adrenaline rush will get to you and I swear I almost popped a vein once or twice in the panic.

Source: The Kenyon Thrills

3. Rate My Professors

A truly underrated tool, Rate my Professors allows you to see ratings and reviews of hundreds of professors. People so often just throw themselves into classes, looking only at the course name and paying little attention to who is actually teaching it. 

However, it’s definitely worth five minutes of your time to get a rundown on your professors, their classes, and their teaching styles, considering you have to spend the rest of the semester putting up with them.

It’s kind of like how you Facebook-stalk a crush before making a move: vital to the relationship-building process.

Source: heelmail

4. Heelmail

You’re looking at me like this right now:

Source: @MikeCatSU on Twitter

I don’t blame you, but hear me out. Heelmail is certainly a confusing suggestion, but what I’m trying to advise you to do is this: just ask, If there’s a class you want to be in that requires permission, is reserved, or is closed, emailing the professor is always worth a shot. While it’s not a guaranteed way to secure a spot, you’ll probably find that more professors are willing to help you enroll than you expect.