Tar Heel Tech

Tar Heel Tech: Small tech accessory maker creates bamboo cases, smiles

<p>My receipt, personally signed by one of Grove&#8217;s friendly staff members.</p>
Buy Photos

My receipt, personally signed by one of Grove’s friendly staff members.

Since I got my MacBook this summer, I’ve felt like a strict, overprotective mom. I was too afraid of bringing it out because of it’s metallic back, and I always made sure that I never left it out when I wasn’t next to it. The exterior of the computer seemed so delicate, and I was worried I’d easily ruin it with a huge scuff. I had to do something to keep my baby safe.

Then I found Grove.

Grove, a small online retailer that specializes in wooden cases for iPhones, iPads and MacBooks, has quickly become one of my favorite companies. Based in Portland, Ore., the company designs, manufactures and sends cases to customers with a team of less than 30 people.

Grove understands that, like the laptop itself, the case has to be sleek and high-quality. The production team at Grove cuts its bamboo with the latest laser technology, ensuring that the cases are always precise. After that, the case is sanded down multiple times by multiple people, which quality-checks the product throughout it’s production. After the case is deemed ready, it is packed and shipped from Grove’s headquarters.

I’ve been using mine for two weeks now, and I’ve really enjoyed it. The back was easy to install (just make sure you put it on the right way, its a doozy to get off) and left behind no residue. It looks great on my laptop, hasn’t added any weight to it, and protects the very sensitive MacBook Pro’s back from any scuffs and scratches.

Since case manufacturers aren’t allowed to place the Apple logo on their cases for copyright reasons, most end up just creating a hole or a clear space to let the logo shine brightly on the back. Instead of doing this, Grove offers 54 different light designs, from musical notes to cats. Plus, you can submit a custom design to the company and the staff will try to accommodate your request.

With the bamboo back, I can bring my MacBook back into the world, no longer fearing the worst. Grove not only makes a fine product, but backs it up with great customer support.