Tar Heel Tech

Tar Heel Tech: Angry Birds hits 500 million downloads, even more pigs

Rovio, makers of the mega-hit Angry Birds announced this week that the game has been downloaded more than 500 million times. According to the Finland-based studio, that amounts to 266 billion levels played, 400 billion birds launched and 44 billion stars collected. Yes, Angry Birds is in the same league as the other major procrastination players.

The Angry Birds franchise is continuing to grow as well. Rovio plans to open its first merchandise store this year and to produce a cartoon based on the squawky creatures. Rovio already sells merchandise including costumes, plush toys and an actual board game and makes one million dollars per month off of the brand.

Rovio’s wünder-game is a direct product of the rise of online application stores. I doubt Angry Birds would have had this same success ten years ago, in a time where smartphones didn’t exist. In addition to the game’s $1 price, the game is driven by its robust platforms, which include smartphones, game consoles and even set-top boxes. Plus, it’s very addicting. Smokers and alcoholics should replace their cravings by simply flinging birds.

Though I don’t play Angry Birds as much as I used to, I still think the characters are hilarious. My favorite Angry Birds video would have to be this live T-Mobile ad. Just like the game, it’s a very whimsical, fun diversion.

Are you addicted to Angry Birds? Have a favorite portable game? Let me know in the comments below.