Tar Heel Tech

Tar Heel Tech: Kickstarter

One of the cooler websites I’ve been on recently is Kickstarter. I sometimes go on their site for hours. If you’ve ever wondered how you could’ve funded that life-changing invention you thought up while putting off a 10-page paper, read on.

The site, which is billed as a way to fund creative projects, uses an all-or-nothing funding method where projects must be fully funded or no one gets any of the profits. This set up benefits donators because if a projects does get fully funded, then they are assured that they will eventually see the final project, and if it doesn’t, they don’t pay a cent. It also forces projects to come up with reasonable funding goals.

Each project gets a page that will help it pull in investors. Creators can create video and write a detailed description of their work to pull in interest. This lets those interested in the project know that their money will potentially be put in good hands.

Kickstarter also encourages those in charge of the products to reward donators based on their donation level. For instance, I recently put $10 towards the funding of Writer’s Dice (hopefully curing horrific episodes of writer’s block) and I am guaranteed two dice when the product is manufactured. For some projects, higher donation levels net you visits from the creators, early access or even credits in the final project.

Some of my favorite projects on the site are a seasonal clock, a very impressive typeface and this promising dubstep EP, . With a little digging, you should be able to find projects that appeal to your tastes.