Tar Heel Tech

Apple introduces its newest iPad...the new iPad

Just don’t call it the iPad 3. Apple revealed it’s newest tablet, the new iPad Wednesday. Though the design lacked any major changes, the newest iPad got a major specs upgrade, much like the iPhone 4S.

The biggest feature of the new iPad is the brilliant screen. As the iPhone 4 got the very cool “Retina Display,” which uses more pixels per inch to make text and images more dynamic, so did the new iPad. The screen now has a 2048 × 1536 pixel resolution, nearly twice the iPad 2’s resolution, and, according to Apple, contains more pixels than most high-definition televisions, and by comparison, more than any other tablet on the market.

Another feature of the new iPad is LTE. The new telecommunications signal, which can transfer data at speeds of 300 megabytes per second, was expected to be included with the new iPhone in October, but the iPhone 4S turned out not to support LTE. Thus the first Apple device to support this technology is not a phone. Even using LTE, the new iPad can last for nine hours with continuous data.

Other minor upgrades include a 5-megapixel iSight camera (featured in the iPhone 4S) that supports HD recording, a dual-core A5X processor that also has quad-core graphics and Bluetooth 4.0 (also featured in the 4S).