Tar Heel Tech

Introducing Google Glasses: eye-wear of the future

Wearable computing hasn’t been cool since calculator watches.

But after Google revealed it’s long-rumored software-enhanced glasses, codenamed Project Glass, that could soon change.

With the glasses, you can look at and send emails, get directions in real time, check into locations on Google Plus and take pictures, as shown in the concept video below.

But many of your are probably wondering, “Can’t my phone already do this?” And you’re be absolutely right. Any modern smartphone can already do what is shown in this video.

If that’s the case, you say to yourself, then why does this matter? The answer to that is actually quite simple: because Project Glass has the potential to be revolutionary.

Think about it. Say you’re in a foreign country, disoriented and confused by the hieroglyphic native letters. Whip on your glasses, and you’d instantly see those signs translated. It’d be much like this, but much faster and hands-free.

Another thing that’s noteworthy about the glasses is the Google Plus integration. Social media has been slowly pervading the real world, but if the glasses make check-in’s and tagging friends automatic, then the two could become permanently intertwined. Combine Project Glass with the Groupon-like Google Offers and Google Wallet, and the glasses will revolutionize the way we use the Internet to interact with our surroundings. In short, who’s ready for the Metaverse?

Are you ready for these glasses? Not so sure? Let us know in the comments.