Tar Heel Tech

Nintendo E3 Live-Blog/Impressions

Today is the last of the “Big 3’s” Conferences. You can watch Nintendo’s E3 Conference right here.

11:42: What a fun E3 this has been! The conferences have shown us different aspects of each company. Microsoft’s focus is on being the entertainment hub of the household, and Sony’s is on bolstering it’s digital offerings. What will Nintendo’s focus be? Today, it needs to be on the Wii U.

The biggest problem with the 3DS’s launch wasn’t the price. It was that consumers didn’t realize the differences between the new handheld and the older Nintendo DS. If Nintendo wants the Wii U to have a strong release, they’re going to have to demonstrate how it’s different than the Wii. That needs to start today, and that’s what I’m looking forward to.

In terms of games, a new 3D platforming Mario would be nice, as well as F-Zero and I’d also love see a sneak peak at a Zelda title. If we’re really lucky, we’ll also see a trailer for the next Super Smash Bros., but I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see one.

11:47: The conference is going to start in 13 minutes. I’m pretty excited for this one. Hopefully Nintendo will deliver.

11:50: Another note: I want to see strong 3rd-party support from Day 1. This means getting the same games that come out on other consoles. New IPs would be nice, but I’d rather see 3rd-party games this year.

11:52: Here’s hoping next time this year that I’ll be there in person. I’ve heard that the atmosphere at these conferences is unreal. Conferences that I wish I could’ve gone to: E3 2004 (Legend of Zelda reveal that had the crowd in tears), E3 2001 (Gamecube and Xbox introduced), and E3 1998 (Ocarina of Time).

12:01: It starts with a skit. Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto is in his dressing room, surrounded by several Pikmin. He’s called to the stage, and the Pikmin hide in his suit. We’re going to see them on stage. He exits, and they follow him. He’s on the stage now! We’re finally going to see Pikmin 3.

12:03: Miyamoto is going to get help from his translator Bill, who is “whistled” to the stage. Focus of the Wii U is to make it independent of the television, which explains the screen on the pad. When you don’t have control of the TV, you don’t have access to the console. They wanted to make the Wii U Pad the first screen you go to when you enter the living room.

12:05: The device connects console gaming and portable gaming. Miyamoto is introducing Pikmin 3 now! It’s a “realtime action-management game.” Tells us that they struggled with the Gamecube camera placement, but with the higher-resolution of the Wii U, that’s no longer a problem. The environments look amazing. They’re the familiar forests that you’ve seen before, but in stunning HD. New enemies are also very detailed.

On the Wii U Gamepad, you always see the map. You can scroll on the map and control Pikmin from further away, as opposed to having them be next to you to give them commands. Captain Olimar is not among the crew members, presumably becoming the command leader from afar. You’ll be able to try Pikmin 3’s challenge mode at E3, which will help you play the game better. Miyamoto states that in an era where deeper games are becoming more rare, Pikmin 3 will be a great game.

12:11: Miyamoto whistles out Reggie Fils-Aime! He welcomes us to the Conference.

12:12: Fils-Aime stresses that this conference is “all about the games.” 23 titles will be shown on stage, but much more will be on their show floor. Wii U does three different things, changes your gaming, changes how you interact with your friends, and how you interact with you TV. Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon Video coming, but it’s about how you enjoy your content. This E3 they’re going to show the games and social components of the Wii U.

12:14: Fils-Aime promotes Nintendo’s social media offerings. Talks about asymmetric gameplay, which puts one player in a solitary position (like 1 v. 3 in Mario Party). Reggie says that the Wii U will introduce 2 game pads. Now we’re watching a promo for the gamepad.

You can use a stylus for the screen as well as your fingers. We see the backside, which looks surprisingly comfortable to hold. Notably present is a video camera/microphone combo which allows you to Skype and a volume slider that controls the in-game volume.

12:18: Fils-Aime is talking about Miiverse, which brings together players playing similar games. Turns out the interface seen Sunday will also be the home page for the Wii U. Social platform, you can communicate with text or drawing, similar Flipnote. Where’s the voice chat?

12:20: You’ll be able to access Miiverse though any device. Looks like we’re getting a demonstration from “an old friend.” I’m betting Mario.

12:21: In Super Mario Bros. U, anyone can jump in to help you at any given time. Here’s a look at the game.

12:22: We’re seeing familiar platforming, and a new flying squirrel suit. There are baby Yoshi’s (similar to Super Mario World) that you can feed to grow into adults. Fils-Aime touts “Boost Mode,” which allows the person with the UPad to control the environment to help or hinder the player.

12:23: Batman: Arkham City is now being shown for the Wii U. Martin Tremblay for Warner Bros. comes on stage to help present his game.

Unveiling a new edition specifically for the Wii U. You can use the map on the screen, and Wii U owners get a special armor suit for Batman and Batwoman.

12:26: “BAT Mode” allows the player to build up a meter that allows Batman to kick more butt. The UPad is also used to control a specific Batarang. You can also detonate mines with the Upad. “The most immersive Batman experience ever.”

12:28: Scribblenauts Unlimited is also coming to the Wii U. This game first added nouns, then adjectives. Now, it’s going to let you create objects. “Auto Mutt” lets you make a dog with wheels. Also adds a multiplayer mode and HD graphics, which are pretty eye-pleasing.

12:30: Fils-Aime comes back on stage. More games are being shown. Darksiders II, Mass Effect 3, Tank! Tank! Tank!, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Trine 2: Director’s Cut, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, and Aliens Colonial Marines are shown in a quick one minute video. These will be the first 3rd-party games to come out for the Wii U.

12:33: Fils-Aime’s body is ready. Talking about Wii Fit Plus. More than 43 million copies of Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus. Announces Wii Fit U, complete with a trailer.

Humans talking about their next workout, which they select with the UPad’s screen. Counts calories now. Luge is also shown. With the controller’s infrared receiver, you can upload information from a pedometer.

12:37: Sing is being announced as a music game that everyone can participate in. Lyrics show up on the UPad, and you can dance along. Fun stuff. “Everyone clap along!” They’re having much more fun than I am.

12:39: Scott Moffitt comes on the stage to talk about the Nintendo 3DS. Announces that there’s going to be a conference tomorrow to give more time to the handheld. Three first party titles will be talked about right now. New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the 3DS is all about the gold. You use the coins for some reason. It looks similar to Super Mario Bros. 3. Comes out Aug. 19th.

12:41: Talking about Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Game looks better in 3D, and you can use stickers, which you use to attack and navigate the world. Arriving this holiday season.

12:43: Now they’re showing Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon. Features multiple mansions and more mansions. Also shows more ghosts, and the game is coming out around the same time as Paper Mario.

12:45: We’re looking at the 3rd-party 3DS lineup now. Castlevania, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, and that was it? Really?

12:46: Did Fils-Aime just say Lego City? He did, as we’re getting a glimpse of an open world Lego game. We’re fighting crime and getting briefs from the Lego chief. We’re catching the Lego criminals and asking about their Lego bosses. We’re also punching Lego buildings and Lego fighting. Lego.

The game looks alright, it seems to parody crime dramas.

12:49: Reggie says the goal of the Wii U is to engage all consumers. Fils-Aime mentions Ubisoft as a partner who understands this concept. They’re coming out to feature some games.

Rep says that asymmetry gameplay helps everyone get into their games. Cites Rayman: Legends as a great example. We’re going to see more games as well. Just Dance 4 is being demoed.

People are dancing on the stage, while Reggie controls the moves with the UPad. “Being the Puppetmaster is kind of like running Nintendo.”

12:54: ZombiU is a more hardcore game. You use the UPad to snipe and shake off zombies. You can also use it to hack doors, which lends a sense of immediacy. The controller can also “zombify” your face, and Reggie likes it too much. Ubisoft is going to be a strong partner for the Wii U, as evidenced by a trailer showing off all of Ubisoft’s Wii U games.

12:57: Nintendo Land is a title that brings together all the features of Wii U. Explores all the Nintendo universes. We’re going to get a sneak peek of this one right now.

1:00: It’s a theme park for Nintendo characters, and you can enjoy attractions with your Mii. Brings together 12 different attractions, 5 of which will be on the show floor. Hopefully this will be bundled with the Wii U. Looks to be connected online, with hundreds of Mii in the game.

He’s demonstrating one called “Luigi’s Ghost Mansion” to show off the multiplayer features. The player with the UPad can see the other players at all times, but the other players cannot see the ghost. However, the WiiMote rumbles to let the player know the ghost is near. You attack the ghost and revive fallen players with your flashlight, but battery is limited. The ghost can also attack people.

1:06: It will be playable on the floor. A trailer for the game shows a magical world filled with different theme parks. It’s vibrant and filled with confetti.

1:07: Fils-Aime says the game will come out around the same time as the Wii U launch.

1:10: “Together, Better.” Wii U’s motto. Conference ends, and we see more of the theme park. Fireworks go off. The conference ends.

I like the idea of showing off 3rd-parties. It was a great move that lets people know Nintendo is dedicated to working with others, as it’s been a problem for them in the past. The problem is that they didn’t show any new games, and I’d rather see what developers are working on. In terms of 1st-party games, we saw Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land, but that was it. Where are the surprises?

I have to give Nintendo a C. They didn’t do enough to justify how the console is different from the Wii, but Pikmin 3 looks special. Their 3rd-party support is going to be strong, bolstered by Ubisoft, but what are the new games going to look like? ZombiU did a good job of that, but none of the other titles did. Nintendo didn’t show consumers why they need to buy the Wii U, and because of that they had the weakest conference this year.